Saturday, July 29, 2006

Bill Fitzhugh: Pest Control


Bill Fitzhugh certainly has a flair for the ludicrous - and the hilarious. In Pest Control, his debut novel, Fitzhugh successfully creates a hybrid of thriller and comedy that is justthisclose to going over the edge from “that’s so crazy I can see it happening” to “I’m not willing to suspend disbelief on this level."

Our stalwart hero, Bob Dillon (pronounced the same but spelled differently), is a newly minted freelance exterminator who sees an opportunity to perfect his environmentally friendly pest control method – cross-bred assassin bugs. Events during a drunken night at a bar put Bob’s name on the list of international killers for hire, a career change that Bob remains blissfully unaware of. As Bob works towards perfecting his assassin bug strains and tries to keep his relationship with his wife Mary intact, he (unwittingly) becomes a major player in the shadowy world of international intrigue.

The supporting characters are fabulous, especially Klaus, the world’s top ranked assassin who suffers from bouts of existential despair. Bob’s family, the worlds best killers, a CIA agent who distrusts technology, and a surly landlord round out the regulars. All have quirks that are sure to make readers snicker at the very least.

This book, despite a few awkward phrases, is wonderful (It wouldn't be me if I didn't insert a touch of what I think of as "constructive criticism," would it?). I couldn’t even put it down to walk two blocks to the CVS. I had to bring it with me. It was hard to stop long enough to cross the street, even. I lost the greater part of a day I should have spent searching for jobs. I should also note that this is probably the fifth time I have read this book. It has lost none of its power to amuse and educate. This time around I identified with Bob a great deal due to his unemployment and dubious financial situation. I’d love to be able to pursue my dream as Bob did, except I’m not really sure what my dream is at this point.

This is highly recommended for those who are looking for a good read with plenty of laughs. The reader should come away from Pest Control feeling satisfied, with aching abdominal muscles, and with new knowledge of insect lore. I am totally serious about that last one, too. Fitzhugh should feel proud of this achievement. I hear a movie is in the works - I'll be all over that if it's true.

A.

2 Comments:

Blogger Johniese Adamsons said...

Pest control is really good to have especially if there are many pests that you can find in your garden, home and farms that causes damages.

austin residential pest services

1:09 AM  
Blogger Saber Pest said...

Thanks for the information appreciated been reading for awhile, and just wanted to let you know I continue to enjoy your writing.
Pest Control Service Point Cook

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home